Friday, February 18, 2005

Blow Up Your TV

When I woke up Wednesday I knew I was coming down with something and after going to work for a couple of hours I came home and went to bed. So yesterday, I woke up with an upper respiratory infection and a lot of ear pain. I made an appointment to see the doctor at 2:30, so meanwhile I had to entertain myself. I felt too sick to try to blog or read blogs or read anything so I turned to the television. We don't have extented cable just local channels and your basic other garbage. (Of course, another 50 channels would be more of the same I'm sure.) What a big mistake watching televsion was even for a sick person. I don’t understand how anyone can spend their day in front of a TV. As John Prine would say "Blow up your TV". I first watched some of "The Early Show" and that was okay because I normally watch a little of that before work most days. Then later I watch “Dharma and Greg” well okay that is somewhat of a cute show; I used to watch that when it was in prime time. From there it was all down hill. Mostly shows featuring white trash whackos, i.e. pregnant wifes prostituting, mother-in-laws prostituting, extremely obese sons/husbands bitching about pregnant wifes prostituting, mother-in-laws prostituting, you name it, and then came a press conference with the President, like I said mostly shows featuring whackos. And then there was this show called “Starting Over” , I think I might have watched it in its entirety which was I guess one hour and I never did figure out what the deal was with that show. Then I think I went to take a short nap and got up and watched a little of “Days’ of our Lives”, a soap I often watched when my twenty-agers were babies, and I don’t think I missed much over the years I had not watched the show. Then I got ready to go the doctor. I was there for almost two hours. I came home with two prescriptions one for an antibiotic and one for ear drops. Then I watched “Oprah” and her show was about wearing the right cloths to make you look ten pounds thinner. Her show was probably the only program worth watching, I don’t know about anyone else that might read this but I sure can use some advice on how to look 10 pounds thinner (well really more than that).

The upshot of being sick yesterday was I got to miss work (of course, I’m out again today). Yesterday, at work we had our monthly board of directors’ meeting and getting through one of those meetings with 25 directors going off on tangents is worse than having an upper respiratory infection and having to lie around all day watching useless television programs.

I actually feel worse today; but, I am going to entertain myself some other way. If my daughter was home today she could cast me on and I could do some knitting. I know one knitting stitch but still have a hard time casting on.

I also wanted to thank buddy don for writing about me on his blog today. That was very thoughtful.

r.m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com