James Joyce, Kinky Friedman, Instant Oatmeal
While laid up this past weekend with the thing that's going around and half the city has I decided I would spend some time reading.
I started reading James Joyce's Ulysses and read about 200 pages and needed a break so I switch to Kinky Frieldman's Kill Two Birds and Get Stoned. Reading Ulysses is like driving the countryside of Ireland, very slow going but very gratifying. Of course reading Kill Two Birds and Get Stoned was a very quick ride but nonetheless quite entertaining. I finished reading Kill Two Birds and have switched back to Ulysses.
Of course special thanks goes to my wonderful husband for keeping up with all the house and cooking chores; otherwise, I would not had the opportunity to take advantage of a being sick and just do much of nothing but read and watch a little TV.
Well speaking of TV, we decided we would watch "The First Five Years of SNL" special on Sunday night. What a big disappointment that was. Out of the two hours minus commercial time there were only a few brief moments when you got to see something that actually aired from 1975 to 1980. Like only 15 seconds of The Band performing. With such talented performers back then and material that was just phenomenal not to mention the wonderful musical acts, I wonder why the viewer was subjected to so much commentary and bullshit. However, watching this frustrating show did bring back fond memories of when my husband and I were first "dating". He was working the 4:00 to midnight shift as a computer operator and would come over to my apartment after work on a Saturday night and we would watch SNL. As a matter of fact the first meal I ever made for my husband was a delicious breakfast on a Sunday morning (go figure) of instant coffee and instant oatmeal. I have come a long way in the cooking department.
r.m.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home