Saturday, March 19, 2005

Guinness, Irish Coffee, Capt'n Grif's Scones and Peat

I'm a little late with this post; but I worked yesterday and had errands to run at lunch time and last night I watched movies with my husband. Now it's Saturday morning and my first chance to post since Thursday.

St. Patrick's Day was delightful. The weather could not have been any better; perfect Irish weather, overcast, cold and wet. After work my husband and I went to a neighborhood bar/restaurant and we each ordered a Guinness and it was happy hour so that meant we would get two. The Guinness arrived flat tasting, fizzy not foamy so we drank just enough to get annoyed and then left. We decided to go down the road to the restaurant my twenty-agers used to work and had a very nice time. We each had two Guinness's and Zeke brought us out a nice tuna appetizer. We sat at the bar and my son's fishing friend Grif who is the pastry chef at the restaurant sat next to me and we had a nice chat. He is such a cool person; he's a terrific baker, has his captain's license to pilot up to a 100 ton boat, can render up a pretty good Irish accent and is in a band with his wife. My daughter said if Grif wasn't married she would marry him, I said if Grif wasn't married and I wasn't married I would marry him. Anyway in between our Guinness drinking my husband ran out to pick up my daughter who had worked late and needed a ride from the local "people mover" station. We had a drink with our daughter and then Grif gave us a couple of cranberry scones, whipped cream and strawberry sauce to have after dinner. I was planning to cook us a nice Irish dinner that evening. So with 2 good Guinness's and a portion of a bad Guinness in my system and dessert in tow we went home. For dinner I cooked poached salmon with cream sauce and colcannon (potato's and cabbage). With dinner I had I think 2 glasses of wine and then after dinner we built a fire using the rest of the peat we had ordered from Ireland last year. When the fire got going we made Irish Coffee and ate the scones while watching "The Matchmaker". A delightful evening.
r.m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com