Soup Kitchen
It has been awhile since I blogged about food from my kitchen. Mr. Red Molly calls food blogging flogging.
The weather turned a bit cooler starting yesterday and will actually be even cooler tomorrow and Wednesday which inspired me to make a few soups for the week. Last night we had Salmon and Shrimp Chowder which was quiet tasty even better than what my daughter makes. Tonight I made Thai Chicken Soup. The recipe for the TCS has evolved over the years and I thought I would share it.
Thai Chicken Soup
One whole chicken (Free range or forget it)
2 stalks of lemongrass sliced thinly after removing and discarding tough ends
big chuck of ginger peeled and sliced thinly
2 large shallots peeled and minced
salt
two cans of coconut milk (preferably from Thailand)
1 to 2 cups mushrooms sliced
1 tablespoon Thai curry paste
juice and grated zest of two limes
Cilantro small bunch chopped loosely
Put whole chicken, lemongrass, ginger and shallots in pot cover with cold water add salt and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer. Cook until chicken is done about 40 minutes. Remove chicken from pot but keep stock on simmer. When chicken has cooled remove meat from bones and return bones to pot. Let simmer for another hour or so to reduce stock.
When ready to serve remove bones from stock and strain liquid to another pot add mushrooms and simmer another 5 minutes. Add coconut milk, lime juice and grated zest, curry paste, chicken meat and return to simmer. When heated through add cilantro reserving some for garnish. Also can be served with a garnish of sliced hot peppers.
Another soup on the menu for the week is Hearty Vegetable soup which you can find the recipe here. I actually made it a coupe of week ago and it is the easiest soup to make. I plan to make it again using my new cookbook Mr. Red Molly gave to me for my birthday. What's one more cookbook?
Bon Appétit


1 Comments:
Anything you make takes better than when I make it. I almost invited myself to dinner last night. I wanted soup(specifically salmon chowder) and I figured the cold weather would have brought on a soup kick.
Post a Comment
<< Home