Friday, May 27, 2005

Deuce and a Quarter

When I went out for lunch today I spotted a Buick Electra 225 probably a 1970's model. It had been repainted and didn't have anything on the car to identify the model. So I asked the driver when he got out of the car if it was a "deuce and a quarter" he said yes. He said to me "no white woman has ever asked me if this car is a deuce and a quarter" and then he said "you are one cool mama". I said thanks. Of course I started thinking about the first time I heard that car model called a "deuce and a quarter". It's from a song recorded by Ry Cooder (I couldn't find an official website to link) called "The Very Thing That Makes You Rich (makes Me Poor)". I have been listening to Ry Cooder since I meet my husband almost 29 years ago. He (my husband) turned me on to good music and turned me on other ways too (still does). If you haven't listened to Ry Cooder check out his music. He's one of the most respected guitar players around. We have most of his CD's and my favorites are "Ry Cooder", "Into the Purple Valley" and "Chicken Skin Music". He also has a new release in June. Here are the lyrics to the song I mentioned above:

(S. Bailey)
My father told me, lying on his bed of death,
"Boy," he says, "woman she's gonna make it, don't fool yourself
'Cause she's got something to make a man lay that money, uh, right in
her hand
And the very thing that makes her rich will make you poor
The very thing that makes her rich will make you poor"
That's right!
Well, I put you behind the wheel of a deuce and a quarter, yes I did
Had you living like a rich man's daughter, yes I did, I sure did
While you were living high on the hog
You had me down here scuffling like a dog
Well, the very thing that makes you rich makes me poor
The very thing that makes you rich makes me poor
Don't you never ever make such a bad mistake
You know I'd rather climb into bed with a rattlesnake
Then to work hard every day bringing that woman all my pay
The very thing that makes you rich makes me poor,
Makes me so damn poor
The thing that makes her rich makes me poor
The very thing that makes you rich make me poor
Very thing that makes you rich makes me poor
Makes me so damned poor
Money won't change it, no no...

2 Comments:

Blogger red molly said...

Thanks for stopping by. My husband does have great taste in music. A lot of the music I listen to today was introduced to me by my husband. i.e. The Band, Richard Thompson, Fairport Convention, Bruce Springsteen, Leo Kottke, Martin Simpson, Randy Newman to name a few.

May 28, 2005 3:03 PM  
Blogger red molly said...

Maggi,
We don't have the Paris, Texas soundtrack but we have "Music by Ry Cooder" which includes three songs from the songtrack. Thanks for stopping by. Parker is difinitely in the "Club".

May 28, 2005 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com