Laid Out in a Jet Plane
I was reading this post from a fellow blogger and it reminded me of one of my drama episodes I had on a plane. It was in 2000 Mr. Red Molly, my daughter and I were returning from our family trip to Ireland (my son returned home ahead of us) and here's what happened: I came down with a stomach bug about 3 days before our scheduled trip home and was a good bit dehydrated the day we left Ireland. The first thing I did just before take off was take a xanax (I'm not a good flyer) and then about an hour into the flight I had a whiskey and ginger ale and then about an hour later I had another whiskey and ginger ale. About half way through the 2nd attempt to indulge myself with alcohol I felt somewhat strange; I told Mr. Red Molly I was going to the bathroom and when I got to the back of the plane the flight attendant approached me and asked if I was okay and I replied no I think I am going to throw up and she quickly handed me the barf bag and I thought gosh she can't even open it up for me. I just grabbed it and laid it flat on my hands and puked on the bag unopened. The flight attendant said to me that I was supposed to open it. Duh! About that time I fainted but luckily I was able to give her my name before I went down. Now I'm unconscious on the floor of the galley and someone on the plane is asking for Mr. Red Molly to come to the back of the plane and about that time my daughter woke and was wondering what the hell is happening to her parents. By this time, both are with me and another announcement goes out by the Captain asking if there are any doctors on the plane. (I'm out, and this part of the story was related to me later.) One of the doctors that shows up to assist was a very handsome man from Belfast who was trying to put an IV in my arm and kept saying 'shit' because he was having difficulty with locating a vein. Another doctor was from South Carolina and was in Ireland on a golf trip. I don't remember where the third doctor was from. Mr. Red Molly said I had a team of international physicians assisting me. I became conscious about the time the handsome doctor came to my rescue, lucky me! Mr. Red Molly and my daughter stayed with me while I was on the floor of the galley in the back of the plane for most of the duration of the flight. They got to eat ice cream bars while the IV was hydrating me. If you have a fear of flying don't mix drugs with alcohol specially when you have been dehydrated from an illness...actually I don't advocate mixing drugs and alcohol at any time.
Now for the weekend update: Mr. Red Molly and I went to the movies Friday night and saw "In Her Shoes" which I would recommend and after the movie we found a cool little Spanish restaurant and ate tapas; Mr. Red Molly had a beer and I had a glass wine...A nice date.
Yesterday morning we decided to go for a walk along the riverwalk and was a pleasant outing except for the very muggy humid nasty hot fall weather. Last night we went to the plugged in series at the Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra performance featuring the Derek Trucks Band. The JSO has the plugged in series to try to draw a different audience to the performances...the usual very rich white folks (who probably have never heard of the Derek Trucks) mixed with middle class regular folks (that's us) along with a few rednecks (who really like to whoop it up) . We would have preferred to see the JSO without the plugged in guest and the Derek Trucks Band without the JSO. They took away from each other. The DTB did play solo the second half of the performance. Another nice date.


4 Comments:
I am glad you had a good date with the hubby!
I have always thought international sized airplanes should have a sick bay area with at least two cots. The law of averages says if you have a couple of hundred folks at least one of them is going to fall out ill every few hours.
It's unusual for us to have a Fri. night and Sat. night date in the same weekend.
Thanks Jed for stopping by.
I kept watching the Weather Channel before we left, and the idea of flying through all those storms made me briefly consider getting a bit wasted before getting on the plane. I know it would've ended up the way your story did, and I therefore had a rare moment of good judgement.
I'd love to visit Ireland and my ancestral Scotland someday, but those cross-Atlantic flights are nothing to look forward to.
Rex, Good judgement...What's that?
Thanks for the visit.
Post a Comment
<< Home