Weekend Wrap Up...Hey You Wanna Burn One?
Here's Saturday. My daughter and I are cleaning the house, dividing up the chores and my husband is working on Quicken/paying the bills and my son is sleeping in. Then my daughter is still cleaning and I'm cutting the grass and my husband finishes with Quicken and goes to workout at the Y and my son is still sleeping. What's wrong with this picture? Yeah, I could not get my son out of bed and motivated to help cut the grass. So he gets up at 2:30p.m, and just leaves for work. WTF?
Yesterday everything was very nice. The four of us pretty much just hung out at home. I had to do the weekly grocery shopping in the morning which I have been actually enjoying since I got my iPod shuffle. I’ll talk more about that later in this post. My daughter washed her dad’s car and gave him an excellent CD by Ry Cooder titled “Chavez Ravine”. My son and I cooked dinner. We had blackened King fish, grilled (a nice 15 pound fish my son caught last weekend, sliced heirloom tomatoes with fresh mozzarella cheese and fresh basil, potato salad and mache greens with vinaigrette. Nice Summer dinner.
Also yesterday, my son's friend came over for my son to help him solve some of his new iPod issues and while he was over he came up to me and said "do you want to go out back and burn one" I said sure. I hadn't done that in a long time. So the two of us took our drinks outside, turned up the new Ry Cooder CD and had a nice time.
Here's some info I got from here about the record. Its damn good music.
"Ry Cooder’s Chávez Ravine—a post-World War II-era American narrative of 'cool cats,” radios, UFO sightings, J. Edgar Hoover, red scares, and baseball—will be released by Nonesuch/Perro Verde Records on June 7. The record is a tribute to the long-gone Los Angeles Latino enclave known as Chávez Ravine. Using real and imagined historical characters, Cooder and friends created an album that recollects various aspects of the poor but vibrant hillside Chicano community, which was bulldozed by developers in the 1950s in the interest of “progress;” Dodgers Stadium ultimately was built on the site. Cooder says, “Here is some music for a place you don’t know, up a road you don’t go. Chávez Ravine, where the sidewalk ends'."
Now about shopping while listening to the iPod. Like i said when I go grocery shopping or anywhere that I am walking around by myself I take my iPod shuffle. Yesterday, while I was shopping and listening to great music I thought this is really not too bad. Here are some of the songs I listened to yesterday on my way to and from and at the grocery store. I was thinking I'm probably the only one in the store listening to such great music:
Memories of East Texas, Michelle Shocked
Pancho & Lefty, Townes Van Zandt
Rita Balou, Guy Clark
Cotton Ginny, Gordon Lightfood
I Shall Be Released, Bob Dylan & The Band from The Last Waltz
Jet Plane in a Rocking Chair, Richard and Linda Thompson
Gin N Juice, Phish
Big Hat, No Cattle, Randy Newman
Red Clay Halo, Gillian Welch
Love Minus Zero/No Limit, Bob Dylan
More Pretty Girls than One, Lyle Lovett
Keep Your Distance, Richard Thompson
Mine Your Own Business, Hank Williams
Will the Circle be Unbroken, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Panama Red, Peter Rowan
Long Black Veil, The Band
Wagon Wheel, Old Crow Medicine Show
Aint Got No Home, Tony Frutado
Souvenirs, John Prine
Hello Stranger, Emmylou Harris
In Spite of Ourselves, John Prine and Iris Dement
One Way Out, Allman Brothers
r.m.


1 Comments:
Your meal sounds divine....yummm.
And I think I need to get an iPod. Maybe that will cure my grocery shopping blues... ;-)
Post a Comment
<< Home