New York: Fun, Fast, Friendly
Here's a photo of me and Mr. Red Molly taken by buddy don and as you can see you were having a great time.

I would also like to thank our friends Rob and Sandi for accommodating us for the weekend and showing us a good time in Saratoga Springs (Rob, Sandi, Mr. Red Molly and my daughter standing under Cafe Lena in photo at left). Thanks Rob for entertaining us in your best Rob-esque form. You are a fine musician and I hope you will make a CD soon (I have a vision of a picture of you playing your Taylor while donning a 'wife beater' on your CD jacket). Thanks also to Patty and Mike for hosting the family gathering. The food was delicious and it was great to meet everyone. I think I will just list some of the sites and restaurants that we visited while in NYC without much narrative since most travel books could describe any of the sights in a much better way than I could. So here’s the list of some the places I remember:
Central Park
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Mostly Mozart Concert / Alice Tully Hall - Lincoln Center
Greenwich Village
The Frick Collection
Walked over the Brooklyn Bridge
Empire Fulton Ferry Park
New York Public Library
Bryant Park
Times Square
Union Square
Chelsea Market
Staten Island Ferry
Walked along Hudson River from Battery Park to Irish Hunger Memorial
Ground Zero
Walked from our hotel on 51st & 8th Avenue to the Woolworth building (about 5 miles – that was a killer)
Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum
Macy’s
Tiffany’s (didn’t buy anything)
Strand Book Store (18 miles of books, bought An Irish Journal by Sean O’Faolain)
St. Andrews (dinner 2 times)
Sarabeths (lunch)
Katz’s (lunch)
Maria Pia (dinner)
Joe Jr’s (lunch)
Josephina’s (dinner)
La Taza de Oro (great coffee and flan)
Paddy Reilly’s Music Bar (disappointment – Guinness tasted weird and we were too tired to stay and listen to the Trad)
McSorley’s Old Ale House (we drank porter and ate cheese and crackers with mustard and onions)
Oyster Bar in Grand Central Terminal (dinner)
Jacques Torres Chocolate Store (Brooklyn)
House of Brews (afternoon drink while waiting for Mr. Red Molly to return from class)
Cedar Tavern (lunch)
Westway Diner (breakfast)
Ray and Frank Liquor Store (bought wine / only one bottle, if anyone is counting)
Amy’s Bread (breakfast)
Amish Market (lunch)
Rosie O’Grady’s (Guinness drink)
Art Café (breakfast)
Chan Pen Thai (dinner)
Mangia & Bevi (dinner)
Here are a few photos of some of the sites:

Times Square

Amy's Bread
Brooklyn Bridge/Manhattan
My daughter (right) and her cousin who recently moved to NYC to start a clothing design business

Mr. Red Molly and my daughter on the Brooklyn Bridge. Since my daughter is a civil engineer this was one of her favorite NYC spots.

Manhattan view from Staten Island
Manhattan is a great place to visit; actually I could live there for a while if I could afford it. We stayed in the Theatre district near the Hell’s Kitchen area which I found very pleasant and interesting. Great ethnic restaurants and a good feel for an authentic New York City neighborhood. I was pleasantly surprised by how safe I felt walking the streets and the friendliness of almost everyone we came in contact with (with the exception of a few taxi drivers). I can’t wait to go back (there is talk that Mr. Red Molly might have the opportunity to take another technical class in Teaneck, NJ this fall and if that happens I plan on tagging along.) Even if it that doesn’t happen we are planning to go back when Mr. Red Molly doesn’t have to be in class and can have more time to see the sights. It was great to have our daughter with us for a few days maybe when we go back our son can join us.
On a sad note I would like to say good bye to fiddle virtuoso Vassar Clements who died on Tuesday, August 16. Vassar will be missed by many and Suwannee Springfest and Magnoliafest will not be the same without Vassar.
r.m.


2 Comments:
Thank you for sharing your trip with us!
Thank you both for dropping by...it's always appreciated.
Post a Comment
<< Home