Monday, November 07, 2005

What We Do For Fun, Or Not

Mr. Red Molly and I went to another concert last night. It would appear that for entertainment all we do is go to concerts and the reason for that is: a) we like too very much and b) there is not much else to do here. We have been to the few museums we have here several times, we have been to the beach many times, the clubs here are usually associated with the twenty-ager crowd or the country music crowd and of course there are a lot of "gentlemen" clubs around and I didn't even realize there were so many gentlemen living in this city, we don't go driving in mud for fun since we don't have a pickup truck accessorized with gigantic wheels, we don't like to kill animals so we don't go hunting, ten months out of the year it's hot as hell so we aren't good at gardening, there are no botanical gardens here to visit, I guess we could go canoeing in nearby rivers and streams but then again we have the ten months of really hot weather factor. Well, there you go, the reasons we choose concerts to provide us with entertainment and I'm glad we do.

Okay about last night, we saw Lyle Lovett, Guy Clark, John Hiatt and Joe Ely at the Florida Theatre and as you would expect it was a very fine show. Our next concert is John Prine next month.

On another note, since last Friday we have been watching two baby mourning doves in a nest near our house as their parents take turns caring for them. The baby birds fell out of their nest Thursday night and we were unable to locate the nest in the tree and just left them on the ground that evening and then the next morning my son and I located the babies and my son but them back in the nest and the mama and papa bird have been diligently caring for them. Did you know that doves feed their young crop milk? It has been fun watching the family of birds and I do hope the babies will survive. Other things I have learned about baby doves is that when they are ready to leave the nest they will actually stay on the ground nearby for a week or two before they can fly well enough to leave their parents.

Here's a photo of my son with one of the baby birds that we rescued and try to locate the nest on Thursday night when it fell out of the tree. We couldn't find the nest so we just placed it under some leaves and twigs near the tree and the second photo is one of the parents in the nest with their babies after we returned the babies to the nest.



























Here are a couple of photos of the Vespa and will probably be it for a while since the scooter is about 98% finished and on the road. It's hard to believe that it was at one time in about a million pieces and now it's all put together and running. My son has already picked up a beautiful girl.



4 Comments:

Blogger Tennessee Jed said...

I love concerts! I understand the attraction keenly.

I met John Hiatt back stage and recieved a signed Telecaster with his signature and "perfectly good guitar" hand written as I watched (as a winner of a radio contest). I guess that was 93 or 94...who knows that was a lifetime ago.

I hope the weather gives you a break soon!

November 07, 2005 7:26 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

That had to be a very excellent show!!! music must be the nectar of the Gods as far as I am concerned!!

very nice ride and your son is very handsome, you all have got good genes!!

November 08, 2005 9:28 AM  
Blogger red molly said...

T.Jed, that is so cool that you met John Hiatt and won a telecaster.

N.N., thanks for telling me about my typo and the mourning doves flew away this morning.

buddy don, you are too kind with your comment and I'm a little 'enveeus' of all the culture you have in your neck of the woods.

Julie, the show was excellent and thanks for the compliment about my son's good looks.

And thank you all for dropping by.

November 08, 2005 6:06 PM  
Blogger Deb @ Sugarfused said...

I just love that Vespa. Wish I had one myself!

I'd love to go to more concerts. Heck, ONE concert. lol

Very envious of your date with John Prine. He's been a favorite of mine for as long as I can remember. I've seen him a few times in Nashville though the last time was many, many years ago. He was drunker than Cootie Brown, I recall.... ;~)

I also adore mourning doves. I hear one almost every day around my house yet I've never laid eyes on it. There must be a family here, too!

November 09, 2005 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com