Friday, July 15, 2005

Dvorakizing My Keyboard

Today at work I was working on importing some files from excel into a donor development software. I needed to concatenate some of the data in excel and somehow I enabled my keyboard to function as a Dvokak keyboard. Of course at the time I had no clue what was going on. When I started typing words that weren't really words I thought that I had hit a function key that made the keyboard go crazy. It was really weird because in other software applications on my computer the keyboard was normal. I troubleshooted a bit but couldn't figure out the problem. I really didn’t want to save my spreadsheet file with a file name that didn’t make sense. So I cut and pasted the data into a blank worksheet and resaved it and the newly saved file was working okay. I have no idea what sequence of events took place to cause this problem. When I got home from work I told my husband about the problem and he said that I probably enabled the keyboard to function as a Dvokak keyboard. So I googled it and sure enough that is what I had done. Why do these things happen on Friday when you want to get out of the office and start the weekend?

r.m.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kewl, you should have typed the opening in the jibberish of qwerty-devork mixup. Then gave us the translation.

This has given me an idea for simple code to send to my friends via e-mail and make them find the code breaker.

July 16, 2005 11:16 AM  
Blogger red molly said...

You're right typing the opening of my post in code would have been fun. Ussh ghda. Lots of luck sending emails to your friends.

July 16, 2005 1:32 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

Sorry that happened to you, but I learned something in it happening. I had no clue that coulod happen! Wow...

Hope you had a great weekend, RM!

July 18, 2005 7:06 PM  
Blogger iBeth said...

Didn't know you could do that! I've always wanted to try a Dvorak keyboard but I've been too afraid to risk my speedy touch typing skills, not even for a better-designed interface. *sigh* Maybe I'll experiment with changing the settings. (Most likely, though, I'll just think about it for awhile.)

July 21, 2005 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com