Silly Is As Silly Does
Today I put myself in a silly situation and not to offend anyone I'm not going to elaborate. I will say it had nothing to do with work; there is nothing silly about work. Work is not fun and not silly, it's work. As I was leaving this situation, I was listening to a song that I would consider silly and then I got to thinking about other silly songs I listen to. The song was 'Hot Corn, Cold Corn' by Run C & W who are a group that several years ago recorded soul music rhythm and bluegrass style. The song is definitely silly and many other songs they recorded are in that silly category but I wasn't able to find much about the group through Google. But I know they recorded at least two CD's. I was trying to remember other silly songs that I have listened to and probably enjoyed and most likely have a recording of and here is what I came up with.
You Know My Name Look Up the Number by The Beatles
Don't Sit On My Jimmy Shands by Richard Thompson (this is more fun than silly)
Old Blevins' by Austin Lounge Lizards
Let's Talk Dirty In Hawaiian by John Prine
Little Round White Boy by Rob Adkins (this is not exactly silly it's just typically performed in a silly manner)
18 Wheels on a Big Rig by Trout Fishing in America (this is more educational than silly)
The Bucking Song by Robert Earl Keen
In Spite of Ourselves by John Prine and Iris Dement (This song was played in the closing credits on the movie Daddy and Them with Billy Bob Thornton and Laura Dern and is a great movie about dysfunctional alcoholic rednecks; it's quite entertaining)
Shame by Randy Newman (this is actually sad in a silly kind of way)
Now that I have written this blog entry I am using the wrong word. Yes my experience this evening involved a bit of silliness but the songs I have profiled I believe are more humorous than silly.
That's all I can think of at the moment but I had a hectic day at work and then I ventured off into the twilight zone which was probably a good thing since I needed to get out of my blue-funkized mood and now I'm going to call it a day. Thanks for dropping by. Do you have a favorite
On a non silly but happy note I think Mr. Red Molly and I are going to have a Friday night date tomorrow night.


5 Comments:
Now I have to head out to the 'net to purchase some of these songs! Were MY day not so hectic, I would have the presence of mind to add to your list. Can't have too much silliness OR humor, imo. :)
Beth, Sorry about your hectic day, thanks for stopping by.
Tennessee Jed, the "Stuart" song is definitely interesting and by the title of some of the Dead Milkmen's other songs I think they could also be put in the silly category. For instance "The Thing that Only Eats Hippies". Thanks also for stopping by.
Yea Nick! They have another one that is funny and is about work, it is called "Minimum Wage" it is just a few seconds too. With a cracking whip!
I wandered over here from Tennesse Jed's. Saw your list of favorite musicians and had to comment. Richard Thompson, Ry Cooder, John Prine, Michele Shocked, The Band... all among my favorites. As for funny songs, I have two loaded on my iPod tht are hillarious. Both are by Richard Thompson. I AGREE WIHT PAT METHENY rocks on Kenny G. DEAR JANET JACKSON is about the Superbowl incident. Both are VERY funny.
Thanks GWB, I have heard both of the Richard Thompson songs you mentioned and they are very entertaining. You have some great musicians on your fav list as well. Thanks for wandering over.
Post a Comment
<< Home