Travelblog
We returned from our west coast trip this morning and I thought I would mention some of the highlights.
Best city - Vancouver
Best meal -- The Fish House at Stanley Park in Vancouver. Mr. Red Molly and I went to this very nice restaurant on the day our adult children went snow boarding. We had a very delicious and pricey late lunch.
Most dreadful -- The weather. Even for me lover of doom and gloom it was over the edge. Rain, rain and more rain, dusk and 4:00.
Most disappointing -- Having to take the bus back from Vancouver to Seattle because there was a mud slide on the day we were scheduled to leave on the train and the tracks were closed.
Oddest moment -- We were standing on the corner near the University of Washington and a young man, 20ish, approached us and asked me if I would hug his box. He was carry a small wicker box with a ball inside and was just walking around asking folks to hug his box. Mr. Red Molly and my son declined. My daughter was inside a nearby shop.
Funniest moment -- Mr. Red Molly drinking out of a bottle of wine on the bus back to Seattle. The train we were scheduled to take would have left at 6:00p.m. and get into Seattle at 10:00 and we had planned a nice European dinner on the train of cheese, salami, French bread, fruit and wine for that evening but since we didn't get to take the train and ended up on the bus with all of these provisions we decided to partake in them. After eating the cheese, salami and bread and without any water with us I retrieved a hot beer from my purse that I was bringing back to Jacksonville because it was a local brew, very good and I was bringing it back as a souvenir. I opened the beer and the four of us drank it. Mr. Red Molly and I then decided we would open the bottle of wine. There were no cups available, Mr. Red Molly took a few sips straight out of the bottle and I'm thinking you can't just sit there on the bus sipping wine from a wine bottle. I found a relatively large prescription bottle in my purse and emptied out the pills and we used that as a glass. It was very entertaining seeing Mr. Red Molly doing something somewhat out of character and after having our European dinner, drinking hot beer, drinking wine from a pill bottle, Mr. Red Molly plugged into his iPod and while listening to Marriage of Figaro said "it didn't get any better that this". I think our adult children were ready to disown us.
Best sights, Seattle - Ferry crossing to Bainbridge Island, the Government locks, Pike Place Market, walking neighborhoods such as Pioneer Square and Belltown.
Best sights, Vancouver - Gastown, Chinatown, Granville Island. The city in general was the best sight.
The weather was not the best and a lot of our time was spent inside; drinking and eating. All in all we had a very good trip and it was nice to travel as a family. Something you don't often get to do once your children have grown, almost.
There is lots more but I'm too tired to relate anything else. Maybe I will get a couple of photos posted this week...although, with the weather they aren't great.
After coming home on the redeye last night, today I have been extremely tired and jet lagged, I have however accomplished some grocery shopping and have a chicken roasting in the oven, brown rice cooking and a medley of vegetables steaming that I need to go tend to. Nothing like a good home cooked meal after being away for a while.


5 Comments:
Sounds like fun! Vancouver is great in the fall...it still rains a lot. Seattle, Portland and Vancouver all have more rainy days than sunny but the temp is always mild.
I bet you are tired but you still found time to blog...doing better than me.
So, did you hug his box?
Yes, I did hug his box. My husband and son did not. He told my son that his mom was cool because she hugged his box. My son agreed.
Thanks mt girl and ten jed for dropping by.
I hope your new year is starting off good for you both.
Welcome home! Glad you had a nice trip :)
I wonder what that box thing was all about? That's so strange!
That 'funniest moment' and 'oddest moment' are two of the funniest things I have heard in forever, I about peed myself!!
Thanks for the smiles!!
Post a Comment
<< Home