Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Fish Chowder

Mr. Red Molly is off of work this week to finish his vacation days for the year and of course I'm not since I have a new job. He gets 5 weeks vacation and usually saves some time off around the holidays and I usually do too but not with the new job. While he is off this week I get to give him little jobs to do like grocery shop for dinner. Today he went and bought potatoes and fish to make fish chowder for dinner. You might remember in my last post my son grilled a red snapper as one of our entrees for Christmas dinner and last night I made fish stock out of the fish head, bones, etc. Fish stock is the easiest thing to make; I just dumped the fish remains in a pot and covered them with water and brought it to a boil and then simmered for 20 minutes, cooled and strained into a container. That was it. Tonight Mr. Red Molly and I made a very nice fish chowder with some chopped up onions sautéed, then we added the cubed potatoes and poured the stock over the potatoes to cover and simmered until the potatoes were tender and then we added a little bit of frozen corn and when re-heated added a little cream, some half and half, a little fresh thyme and simmered until hot and then added 1/2 pound of shrimp and 1 and 1/2 pounds of talapia and turned off the heat and let it set for about 10 minutes seasoned with salt, pepper and fresh chives. Served it up and it was delicious.

The fish chowder was getting us in the mood for our trip to Seattle and Vancouver next week. I hope we have really nice cold, rainy, snowy weather next week on our trip. Since Christmas Eve it has been disgustingly warm here. Sorry for bitching about nice weather I just don't like it in the winter time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com