Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Dargai and Whatbay













I have been blogging for over eight months and I really haven't had an official post about my cats so I thought I would do that tonight. Dargai and Whatbay are litter mates and they came to us from a friend who had two momma cats that gave birth to a total of eleven kittens within a few hours over 10 years ago. I told my friend that I wanted to take one of the kittens and she said oh don't you want two. I thought well sure why not. I am really glad that we adopted both the girls they have been wonderful pets and great for each other. Their personalities are so different, Dargai is a really in your face kind of cat and Whatbay is very selective who she hangs out with, mostly my daughter. They have to drink fresh tap water daily so Dargai get fresh water dispensed in the bathtub and Whatbay always goes to the sink in the other bathroom. We give them water in their bowl every morning but once it gets stale they won't drink it. Can't blame them, tap water sitting around taste like shit anyway.

Recently I had our sofa and loveseat recovered and rearranged the furniture in the living room and now every night they each take up residence on one of the cushions on the loveseat; they never did that when it was flipped around the other way. See photo above. I had taken others pictures that were better but somehow they went missing on one of our other hard drives.

I'm going to take a stab at trying to explain my cats' names. When they first came to us they looked so much alike I had a hard time telling them apart. Dairgai did have some dark around her eyes and my husband at the time was playing a lot of guitar and one of the pieces he played a lot was a Richard Thompson's song called Dargai. But I always thought the name of the song was 'Dark Eyes' when I asked him what he was playing. So that gave me the ideal to name the kitten with the dark eyes Dargai. As for Whatbay, my husband had this thing going on with his sister about being a Goombay which he picked up when he went to the Bahamas in the seventies when the Bahamas was promoting the Goombay Summer theme. He was sort of nicknamed by his sister Goombay and then we started calling his sister Whatbay. We at the time described a Whatbay as kind of a wild person. So after we named Dargai we decided that our other kitten was somewhat on the wild side so we named her Whatbay.

Good grief what a silly story. Anyway, if you have stayed with this and read the whole post then I thank you in advance. When people come to our home and ask us how we came up with our cats' names my family says Mom named them. Of course, I never try to explain their names.

r.m.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

Mrs. Camino and I only have one cat, yet he has managed to leave his permenant indention into all the cushions of our couches and futons by evenly splitting his time between them.

July 27, 2005 8:22 AM  
Blogger red molly said...

Thanks Rex and N.N. for your comments. I think in my next life I will be a cat.

July 27, 2005 8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com