My First Natural Disaster
I was eleven in 1964 when my family moved from
We moved to
But what wasn’t cool was the duration of the hurricane and the aftermath of not having water, electricity, etc. At that time, my parents and I and my five siblings lived in a tiny three bedroom one bath home and with the hurricane coming towards us my parents invited my uncle and his brother to come stay with us to ride out the hurricane (they were at the time living at the beach). The hurricane arrived in the late hours of the night and all of us younger kids where riding it out in my parents bed while the grown-ups were bailing out the water flooding our home. I remember we were the only family on the street with lights because my father had rigged up some kind of generator situation from the car battery of their car parked on the carport. So we at least had lights. I will never forgot how scared I was when I heard the wind howling as my siblings and I laid in our parents bed wondering if the roof was going to blow off. We were from
But now I'm thinking what I went through is nothing compared to the many people who were trying to survive last week. The hurricane, the evacuation, the lack of help, the starving, the dying... it's just overwhelming and I can't imagine what might happen if there is another natural disaster or another terrorist attack in our country with such a fucked up government.


2 Comments:
RM, that sounds rough. I have never been in a hurricane, it don't look like much fun. I like a good thunderstorm from the porch, but our storms last less than half an hour.
Rough thing your Dad was hit with. Was he able to get a drivers license in Florida?
N.N., Doesn't your mother tell you anything? lol
TJ, the answer to your question is yes.
BD, You are right,'tis amazing.
Thank you all for stopping by.
Post a Comment
<< Home